Rev. Leboa and family arrived in Alexandra in 1923. He was from Mabaleng in the Eastern Transvaal. He stayed in the Lutheran Church at No. 86 7th Avenue.
Mr Ndzondza organised the opening of the school within the church in 1923. The school started with few numbers of pupils, and Mr Ndzondza became the first teacher of the school. His remuneration was organised from the concert funds.
The school developed and Mr Mmotlane became an assistant. The retirement of Mr Ndzondza let to the induction of Mrs Maleka (maiden name Makobe) as the teacher. Mr Mmotloane passed on in 1939 and Mrs Maluleke took over his position.
Rev. Leboa builds few classrooms within the churchyard with the assistance of other church members. The new classrooms were officially opened in 1941 and registered as Lutheran Junior school in 1944. It offered tuition from Grade 1 to 3.
Mrs Hilda Phaahle became the first Principal of the Lutheran Junior School. Miss A Ntsoane and Miss Mkata assisted her. In 1945 Mrs Maleka left for further studies and came back as the Principal after the departure of Mrs. Hilda Phaahle.
The introduction of Bantu education changed the name into Iphutheng Lower Primary School. In 1964 Mrs G Maleka retired and Mrs A. Mangwedi led the school as the Principal. Under the leadership of Mrs Mangwedi the school developed dramatically. The school had seven lady teaches and a roll of 544 pupils. Consequently the school was compelled to request a number of churches for accommodation. There were branches at no 14 – 16th avenue, no 132 – 18th avenue and no 47 –m 16th Avenue.
In 1982 Mrs Mangwedi retired. In 1983 Mrs Makwela took the reigns as the principal of Iphutheng Lower Primary School with the roll of 656 pupils and the staff of 12. The initial task she faced with was to unite the branches which were difficult to manage and supervise into a strong force to be reckoned with. This challenge was successfully met by using old Ikage Lower Primary School. In 2000, the first Grade R was established. Now the school starts from Grade R – 7, it has 1284 learners and 41 staff members.